Wednesday, March 14, 2007

More observations

This one just came in yesterday:

"From: L.
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 6:19 PM
Subject: Re: Dogs that are allowed to roam loose ...

Once again I became enraged by the unleash rules. One day last week I came home about two in the afternoon. What a joy to see about 6-7 large breed dogs running off leash in the park across the street from my house. It appears the dog owners just made a little dog meet group and were talking as their dogs ran about wildly. Not only were they off leash at a prime hour when children are around, but this is a little league baseball field NO dogs are even allowed to walk in there with a leash. They are so busy gossiping I doubt any of them noticed if their four legged friend decided to use the park as a bathroom and clean up after them.

I called 311 to connect me with the 104th precinct. Oh I loved, this the phone just rang and rang. How is it possible that no one picks up the phone at a police station!!! I didn't want to call 911 since it wasn't an emergency so I called the office of Senator Maltese. I told them the situation and they were very kind and gave me a direct phone number to someone at 104th. When I called 104th they seemed annoyed that I was given a direct number. They told me they will send a car and note the park so a squad car can come by daily to issue warnings. No one has seen a squad car at all and I still see dogs running loose."


Late Sunday afternoon I ran into a friend of mine in the Ravine. We were standing around talking near the fence at the back of the lower pool. Unleashed dogs were going back and forth in a steady stream after 5pm through paths that are clearly marked leashed dogs only. At one point, a woman was walking down the path towards the Nethermead with her, approximately, 4 year old daughter. An unleashed Ridge-back ran up to her and the little girl was scared to death. She was crying, "Mommy, mommy" while hiding behind her mother. The owner was completely clueless, talking on her cellphone. The dog then came over to sniff my crotch. The woman saw my camera and leashed her dog, the whole time she was still blabbing on the phone. I took some photographs. The one with the little girl isn't very good, but you get the idea. There were approximately 15-20 unleashed dogs in that spot from 5:30pm to 5:50pm. Oh yeah, and some woman let her down go under the fence and into the lower pool.